What’s Happening at Hillside
6/18 Hillside Graduation! Congratulations to our Seniors!
We will celebrate our seniors on Saturday, June 18, at 4:30 pm. The ceremony will be held in the gym. Graduating families are allowed to have 10-12 guests. As this will be a large event, we will be requiring everyone to please wear a mask. We look forward to sharing this time with all of you!
Hillside is proud to announce that three of our seniors are the recipients of the 2022 Washington State Honors Award. This award honors students who are graduating in the top 10% of the state of Washington. Congratulations, Lily, Ella and Jacob! We are inspired by your sustained commitment to exceptional academic achievement!
Our six matriculating seniors all have exciting plans for the future! Hillside is proud of each student and knows they will continue to succeed.
- Lily will be attending Willamette University with intended studies in Global Cultural Studies. Lily is the recipient of Willamette’s Trustees’ Scholarship and the Willamette Pathfinder’s Award.
- Jacob will be attending the University of Washington (Bothell) with intended studies in Computer Engineering.
- Ella will be attending Willamette University with intended studies in the Humanities. Ella is the recipient of Willamette’s Presidential Scholarship.
- Amelia will be attending the University of Washington (Seattle) with intended studies in both Design and Near East Studies with a concentration in Farsi. Amelia has earned a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) undergraduate fellowship for Farsi with UW’s South Asia Program.
- Sam will be attending Reed College with intended studies in the Humanities.
- Norah will be attending the University of Northern British Columbia with intended studies in Environmental Engineering.
Recently our junior Nick presented his junior project to the entire school. Working closely with a mentor, Nick built a motorcycle using a lawnmower’s motor on a custom created frame. He discussed the need to focus on forethought and planning, and he is already planning his next project. Hillside is also proud to share that Nick has earned the Washington State Seal of Biliteracy for Russian. Using the ACTFL scale, Nick has demonstrated intermediate-mid proficiency or above in all four language domains (reading, writing, listening, speaking). This level of achievement is equivalent to 6-8 years of pre-university language study! поздравляем (Congratulations), Nick!
Celebrating Pride Month!
The month of June is Pride Month, when the world’s LGBTQA+ come together and celebrate the freedom to be themselves. Pride Month is currently celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan. To honor this month, Lizeth and students created a bulletin board full of information and celebration.
Happy birthday to our summer birthdays:
June birthdays: Declan, Bravo, Sydney, Tarian, Kellan, Lizeth
July birthdays: David, Sam, Wis
August birthdays: Ashton, Kalan, Karen
6/9, 12:00pm, Fly Up
6/15, Last Full Day of Class
6/16, Yearbook signing and half day
6/17, Half Day, Yearbook Signing, 9:00-11:00 am
6/18, Graduation, 4:30pm and The 39 Steps, 7:30pm
6/19, The 39 Steps, 7:30 pm