What’s Happening at Hillside
6/18 Hillside Graduation! Congratulations to our Seniors!
We will celebrate our seniors on Saturday, June 18, at 4:30 pm. The ceremony will be held in the gym. Graduating families are allowed to have 10-12 guests. We look forward to sharing this time with all of you!
Hillside is proud to announce that three of our seniors are the recipients of the 2022 Washington State Honors Award. This award honors students who are graduating in the top 10% of the state of Washington. Congratulations, Lily, Ella and Jacob! We are inspired by your sustained commitment to exceptional academic achievement!
Our six matriculating seniors all have exciting plans for the future! Hillside is proud of each student and knows they will continue to succeed.
- Lily will be attending Willamette University with intended studies in Global Cultural Studies. Lily is the recipient of Willamette’s Trustees’ Scholarship and the Willamette Pathfinder’s Award.
- Jacob will be attending the University of Washington (Bothell) with intended studies in Computer Engineering.
- Ella will be attending Willamette University with intended studies in the Humanities. Ella is the recipient of Willamette’s Presidential Scholarship.
- Amelia will be attending the University of Washington (Seattle) with intended studies in both Design and Near East Studies with a concentration in Farsi. Amelia has earned a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) undergraduate fellowship for Farsi with UW’s South Asia Program.
- Sam will be attending Reed College with intended studies in the Humanities.
- Norah will be attending the University of Northern British Columbia with intended studies in Environmental Engineering.
Recently our junior Nick presented his junior project to the entire school. Working closely with a mentor, Nick built a motorcycle using a lawnmower’s motor on a custom created frame. He discussed the need to focus on forethought and planning, and he is already planning his next project. Hillside is also proud to share that Nick has earned the Washington State Seal of Biliteracy for Russian. Using the ACTFL scale, Nick has demonstrated intermediate-mid proficiency or above in all four language domains (reading, writing, listening, speaking). This level of achievement is equivalent to 6-8 years of pre-university language study! поздравляем (Congratulations), Nick!
Celebrating Pride Month!
The month of June is Pride Month, when the world’s LGBTQA+ come together and celebrate the freedom to be themselves. Pride Month is currently celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan. To honor this month, Lizeth and students created a bulletin board full of information and celebration.
Happy birthday to our summer birthdays:
June birthdays: Declan, Bravo, Tarian, Kellan, Lizeth
July birthdays: David, Sam, Wis
August birthdays: Ashton, Kalan, Karen
Enjoy the beauty of our forest
The students in the Environmental Science course enjoyed the beauty and observed nature in a sit spot on the Hillside property. The forestry elective created art and hung it in the trees
Megan’s Departure – A Note from the Director
Dear Hillside Families,
As some of you may already know, Megan Owen has decided to leave her position at Hillside for personal reasons. We are sad to see her go, but feel very fortunate to have benefited from her many gifts as the 5th and 6th grade humanities teacher during this last year. She has shown insight, wisdom, dedication, talent, and sensitivity, and has supported her students through a challenging time. We hope to stay in touch with her, and she may return as a substitute. We are grateful to her, and will miss her very much!
We thank her and wish her the best!
6/1, 6/3, 6/4, 6/7, 6/8, 6/10, 12:00 pm, Junior Projects,
6/2, 12:00, Drama Rehearsal for As You Like It
6/9, 12:00, Drama Rehearsal for As You Like It
6/11, 12:00, Fly Up
6/13, 1:00 pm, Dress Rehearsal for As You Like It
6/15, Last Full Day of Class
6/16, Last Community Day
6/16, 12:00, Dress Rehearsal for As You Like It
6/17, Half Day, Yearbook Signing, 9:00-11:00 am
6/17, As You Like It, 7:00 pm
6/18, As You Like It, 7:00 pm
6/19, Graduation, 10:30 am
6/19, As You Like It, 7:00 pm