Dear Hillside Students, Families, and Staff,
I hope you have enjoyed a renewing and refreshing summer. We are excited to welcome our students back to campus and to in-person classes at the end of the August. This last eighteen months of pandemic have been challenging. The resulting uncertainty and anxiety are stressful for everyone, and we will continue to adjust to changing situations and new information going forward. One certainty we can rely on is the ability to learn together to treat each other with supportive, gracious kindness. That is how things will get better!
Below are some important points regarding the upcoming school year.
- Orientation evening will be held in the gym on Thursday, August 26th, at 6:30pm. We are excited to welcome all of you for the new 2021-22 academic year. Please RSVP by completing this form. If we receive a large number of RSVP’s, more than we are comfortable, we will have to host the meeting via zoom. We look forward to answering some of your questions at that time.
- We are planning to hold school full time, in-person, Monday through Friday, starting Monday, August 30th. We will not be holding zoom classes or hybrid classes unless we are forced to switch to remote learning full-time.
- School day times, Monday through Friday:
- 8:20 Zero Hour Study Hall (optional, $5/session) and High School classes (required)
- 9:15 First Period for all grades
- 3:20 pick up at the corner of 50th and 159th.
- The Hillside Van ($1/ride) will pick up students in the morning from the east side of the Eastgate Park and Ride. For PM rides, it will first go to the Eastgate Park and Ride, then the Newport Way Library. Please sign up in advance for the days and times you wish to ride.
- 8:02 van leaves the Eastgate Park and Ride
- 3:32 (approximately) van arrives at the Eastgate Park and Ride
- 3:40 (approximately) van arrives at the Newport Way Library
- COVID protocols include:
- Masks required indoors
- Rooms ventilated (students should dress warmly)
- Regular hand washing
- Students with virus or cold symptoms are asked to stay home
- We encourage everyone who can to be vaccinated
- Clubs (fees vary) will generally end at 4:50. See the website for details!
- Monday, September 13: Art Club begins.
- Tuesday, September 14: Fencing Club begins (also meets Thursdays).
- Wednesday, October 6: Drama Club begins.
- Monday or Tuesday, September 13 or 14, Puppetry Club begins.
- Other clubs are also possible based on student and staff interest!
- Note:There is no van service after clubs.
Learn more about our school supplies list for the 2021-2022 School Year
Complete our Fall Orientation Forms no later than Wednesday, Aug. 25
- Emergency Information
- Consent for Hospital/Physician care
- Consent to Photograph/Consent for Student Directory
- Medically Verified Records
Parents must also email immunization verification information to Lizeth at firstname.lastname@example.org before the first day of school.
As of August 1, 2020, the revised rule requires medically verified immunization records for school and child care entry. Medically verified record includes one or more of the following:
· A Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) printed from the Immunization Information System (IIS)
· A physical copy of the CIS form with a healthcare provider signature
· A physical copy of the CIS with accompanying medical immunization records from a healthcare provider verified and signed by school staff
· A CIS printed from MyIR
Please note: due to insurance regulations, students must have these forms on file at Hillside by the first day of school in order to attend!
Forms to be completed as needed
- Tylenol/Ibuprofen refusal form/Epipen waiver
- Transportation (on our school vans)
- After-school Club Selections and Fees
Please send these forms with your check (payable to Hillside Student Community School) for
- any after school club fees
- van service (if applicable)
- plus the $600 deposit for Parent Support Activities and Work Parties
by Wednesday, August 25. Please bring them to our Orientation Meeting.
The Parent Support Job Description and Form will be posted soon. Stay tuned!
Please see our calendar at hillsidesc.org for events!
We will continue to pay close attention to the CDC, the local health departments, epidemiologists, and the directives of the government. Aspects of this situation are clearly beyond our control.
No matter what, we hope for the best, and will seek to make this an exciting, challenging, community-building school year.